Webex Developer Highlights October 2021October 22, 2021
As Developers, we like to look back over our work. It’s a good feeling to survey our domain and take inventory of our accomplishments.
Here at Webex, we’d like to take you on a tour over the past few months and share with you some exciting new developments!
New/Updated Webex Features
Let’s start by taking a look at our SDKs. We’ve offered mobile SDKs for Android and iOS, but they’ve recently been revamped in version 3.x. The mobile SDKs now share the same codebase as the mobile clients which means the latest features get exposed in the mobile SDKs faster.
- New Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) calling capabilities
- Multi-stream video support
- Added the ability for users to edit their own messages
- Onboard SQLite now bundled with SDK
- Kotlin support for Android
You can read more about our mobile SDKs in this blog post: https://developer.webex.com/blog/empower-your-mobile-apps-with-the-next-generation-webex-sdks
You can do many things with the Browser SDK:
- Create and join audio and/or video meetings
- Meeting and event controls
- Audio and video meeting control
- Reception of real time transcripts with use cases such as:
- Just in time knowledge discovery
- Text analytics
New Webex Developer Guides
In addition to all the new API additions, the team has added two new feature guides to the Webex Developer's Portal:
- Meeting Resources Guide describes how you can use the Webex API to retrieve useful meeting information, including recordings, transcripts, and participant logs.
- Webhooks covers techniques you can use to notify your own apps of Webex events and activities, including those for attachments, messages, membership changes, calls and more.
New Webex APIs
The Webex engineering team has been hard at work on new API features, including:
- Room Tabs that lets you create an always-available tab to a Webex Space / Room.
- Meeting Transcripts allowing hosts and compliance officers to easily download meeting transcripts.
- Workspace Locations letting you manage workspace location and floor information.
- Workspace Metrics that lets you access comprehensive information gathered by your Webex devices.
For a complete list of changes, please see the API Changelog.
New Blog Posts
We’ve also published several new blog posts you may want to check out:
- Read about the next generation of Webex SDKs: https://developer.webex.com/blog/empower-your-mobile-apps-with-the-next-generation-webex-sdks
- Learn about the new Webex Room Tabs API: https://developer.webex.com/blog/new-webex-room-tabs-api
- See how to access Webex meeting resources: https://developer.webex.com/blog/accessing-meeting-resources-from-webex
- Get an overview of the Webex meetings application platforms: https://developer.webex.com/blog/understanding-webex-meetings-application-platforms
And an update to a classic:
- Build a Webex bot in 15 minutes! https://developer.webex.com/blog/from-zero-to-webex-chatbot-in-15-minutes-updated-for-2021
We held a couple of events worth mentioning. The first was the Webex Community Event, where our Evangelists Phil and Adam presented the new features in the SDKs.
We also held a private event for developers that have signed NDAs. If you’re interested in joining the inner circle with the Webex Ambassador Program, have a look here: https://community.cisco.com/t5/webex-ambassadors-experts/bg-p/webex-ambassadors
Read about how our partner, Smartnotation, got their app onto the App Hub: https://developer.webex.com/blog/partner-success-story--smartnotation
Join us at WebexOne!
Join us on 10/27 to attend our annual marquee event where we have a dedicated Developer track on empowering developers to succeed with programmatic APIs and powerful SDKs. We have a great line up of sessions, speakers, demos and much more to get you started. You can register here: https://www.webex.com/webexone/index.html.