Webex for Developers Newsletter – August 2022August 15, 2022
Catch the 🌊wave 🏄 in the August edition of Webex for Developers newsletter, bringing you all the latest happenings with the Webex platform, community, and ecosystem!
💡 Webex Partner Spotlight: Vivoh 💡
One of our valued Webex partners, Vivoh, built a great integration app called OnTime, now found on the Webex App Hub. This integration utilizes Webex OAuth and Webex RTMPS streams to provide an ultra-secure video delivery system that's perfect for financial institutions. In a recent blog post, Vivoh's CTO, Chris Dawson, walks us through their Webex development and deployment journey for the OnTime integration.
🆕 New Webex API Updates🆕
There's been some notable Webex APIs added recently to make integrations more efficient and powerful. Here are two important updates to learn more about:
- The new Bulk APIs for Meetings & Webinars enables developers to easier work with bulk registrations, events, and participants lists.
- There's also been some updates for Compliance Officer Webhooks, where integrations applications can receive Webex new event notifications to satisfy more potential compliance and regulatory requirements.
📺 New Webinar and Vidcasts Pages on the Developer Portal 📺
Developers are continually learning new things to extend their technical knowledge. When researching something for the first time, hearing about a topic directly from subject matter experts before digging into heavier documentation is usually the most desirable route. To that end, the Webex Developer portal now has two new pages that brings together live and prerecorded webinars, along with a collection short-form videos, to get our community quickly up to speed on a variety of topics.
Live & On-Demand Webinars 💻
The Webex Developer Evangelist Team offers live public webinars every month, on topics pertaining to Webex APIs, frameworks, App Hub, platform, and more. Now, everyone can view the schedule of upcoming webinars and watch recordings of past sessions (such as this recording of the "What's New" session from June) on the new Developer Webinars page. From the dev portal, select the 'Resources' tab and then click 'View Webinars' in the 'Live and On-Demand Webinars' box.
Vidcast 🎥 Collection
Quick, straightforward video tutorials are all the rage right now, and for good reason. Sometimes a short explanation is the best way to get acclimated with something new. That's why the Webex team loves using Vidcast to record concise tutorials, overviews, and announcements to share with the community. Now, everybody can browse the complete library of Vidcasts recorded for Webex Developers. To find the Vidcast collection on the Developer portal, click the 'Resources' tab on the top of the page, then under 'Learn', click 'Vidcasts'.
- In a Vidcast recently added to the collection, Sr. Webex Developer Evangelist, Phil Bellanti introduces the new Join a Meeting API to generate direct links fore users to join meetings without having to login to Webex.
📝 New Webex Developer "How-to" Blogs 📝
Check out these great how-to blog posts just added to the Developer portal over the past month:
Using the Webex API & Python Scripting to Download Reports
One of the most important functions for Webex administrators in Control Hub is to interact with reports. Like with anything else you do manually through a GUI, working with large batches of reports in Control Hub can become tedious. Did you know that developers can leverage REST APIs to retrieve Webex reports automatically? In this wonderful "how-to" blog, Collaboration Technical Solutions Architect, Justin Haefner, shows us how to use Python scripting and the APIs to download Webex reports.
Common Use Cases for Private Webex Embedded Apps
In another enlightening blog post, Sr. Webex Developer Evangelist, David Liedle shares with us some use cases for keeping your Webex Embedded App private to your Webex Org. Not sure if you should submit your app to the Webex App Hub? Let's clear that up! Head over to David's blog post where explains some exceptions to the rules for Embedded Apps.
🪵 Webex API Changelog Rollcall 🪵
More and more updates keep rolling into the developer platform and the Webex API Changelog is tracking all the info. Here are some notable items listed there recently:
- New Meetings Breakout Sessions APIs (Developer overview blog coming soon!)
- Compliance Officers and Administrators can now list all recordings for all hosts per site using the Admin List Recordings endpoint.
- Compliance Officers can now also retrieve in-meeting closed captions via the new meeting closed captions endpoint without the host explicitly recording the meeting. You must request access to this endpoint via our support channel.